Fin in a Waste of Waters

"These moments of escape are not to be despised. They come too seldom....Leaning over this parapet I see far out a waste of water. A fin turns....I note under 'F.,' therefore, 'Fin in a waste of waters.' I, who am perpetually making notes in the margin of my mind for some final statement, make this mark, waiting for some winter's evening." (from Woolf's THE WAVES)

15 August 2006

Personal statements

Currently, I am supposed to be working on a personal statement for one of my several grad school applications. I am procrastinating. I have been all morning, and did last night, too. I know I'm doing it, and why, and that it only makes it worse. I hate writing these things. I hate writing about myself like this. It is this kind of writing that makes me feel as if I've lost all ability to write, and as if I'll never write even any more fiction nor critical work again.

I think that most of my problems are organizational. I don't know how to include everything I've done that could be important to the application. So I cut things out. And then I don't know what to do with everything I've got left. I have too many interests.

I'm such a whiner.

Last night, I dreamt that giants were chasing me.

I think I'm going to go shave my legs for the first time in over two weeks. The conversation I had with Laurie about the differences between perceptions of European and American cleanliness has finally worn me down.

Ugh, I hate writing these things.

Maybe I'll go make a snack instead and stare at the computer screen a little more.

1 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger cheryl said...

ahhhhhhhhhhh the personal statement. if there's anyone who can write a kickass personal statement, it would be you, honey. don't fret.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home