Fin in a Waste of Waters

"These moments of escape are not to be despised. They come too seldom....Leaning over this parapet I see far out a waste of water. A fin turns....I note under 'F.,' therefore, 'Fin in a waste of waters.' I, who am perpetually making notes in the margin of my mind for some final statement, make this mark, waiting for some winter's evening." (from Woolf's THE WAVES)

11 January 2007

Still around...

For those who might still occasionally check here: yep, still around. Just slightly (really) stressed out....two term papers due Monday, then forum in London, then speech at Stowe (where two Harvard fellows will be in attendance - did not know about that when I agreed to this talk...).


But, my moment of total happiness today: walking home from Taj, took a random alley all the way down to the sea, so I could walk along the shore the rest of the way to the flat. Real movie-set type of alley: barred windows, blank brick walls, dumpsters, a sketchy van or two. But I met a cat along the way, really friendly, I think a little attention starved, thick hard body. Butted his heavy head against my hand when I stooped to scratch his ears. I was sorry to leave him, "poor slob without a name."


I will marry the first person who can tell me where that line is from without looking it up first...

P.S. Beetroot chips are the BEST.

3 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you are still putting one foot in front of the other and hanging in there!

Interesting dating/marriage tactic. :-)

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

"Breakfast At Tiffany's"!!!!!

totally no need to look that one up! Classic!

I'll start looking for rings ;D

I totally just sporadically checked your blog today since I had time to kill at work. Fun new post! I like guess the quote games. :)

 
At 3:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Can I be best man? ..wait.. which one's the man?!
:P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home