Fin in a Waste of Waters

"These moments of escape are not to be despised. They come too seldom....Leaning over this parapet I see far out a waste of water. A fin turns....I note under 'F.,' therefore, 'Fin in a waste of waters.' I, who am perpetually making notes in the margin of my mind for some final statement, make this mark, waiting for some winter's evening." (from Woolf's THE WAVES)

18 May 2007

From the diaries of Virginia Woolf...

From my reading of the diaries of Virginia Woolf (vol. II):

"And if we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, & trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic & aged."

I came here to prove that she was not indeed "mad" but saner than the "sane" who diagnosed her as such: here it is in one line.

Reading more & more of her life, I am increasingly in love with this woman & the way she lived her life.

2 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I knew the answer to this rather prosaic question, but - did Woolf happen to die getting rammed by an irritated wild goat?

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Tessa said...

No; ramming back, I believe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home