Fin in a Waste of Waters

"These moments of escape are not to be despised. They come too seldom....Leaning over this parapet I see far out a waste of water. A fin turns....I note under 'F.,' therefore, 'Fin in a waste of waters.' I, who am perpetually making notes in the margin of my mind for some final statement, make this mark, waiting for some winter's evening." (from Woolf's THE WAVES)

14 January 2007

And math has the last laugh...

Turns out, I do need high school algebra (but then, I am using it to explain the concept of the treasure map as related to "plot" [the action of the novel and charting of the map] in Dumas, Stevenson, and Joyce - so it IS for literature!)...

New dating & marriage technique:

I will marry the first man (or woman) who can tell me the NAME of this algebraic theory:

if a = b, and b = c, then a = c.

4 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tessa - I liked the other challenge much better - would take a romantic individual to know it. This one you should have been given with more care. Any geek like myself could come up with the answer (and - I DID).
PS - Ask Holly!
My apologies - as I am certainly not remotely available!
On another note - it is nice to see you return to the blog world. Shot and sweet is as nice as long and elaborate.

 
At 3:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, I got this one (step aside, Kari). You're referring to the transitive property.
Though I'd argue that this is more of a logic theory. Modus Ponens or other. Either way..

I win! :D

How did I miss this blog before?

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Joe said...

gah, the only algebraic theorem i know and i was TOO LATE.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Alright Rannier, I'll give you this one, but I just have to point out what Tom said - that the other challenge "would take a romantic individual to know it."

I'm more romantic!! ;D (though me being a woman does make you more Tessa's type so I guess you still win. ha! ;D)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home